15 Famous TV and Movie Cats We Love
There have been many famous TV and movie cats throughout the years. We’ve selected 15 of the most popular cats and famous kitties in entertainment. Check them out and see if you agree. Then be sure to check out the additional lists of famous TV and movie cats below—a great way to quiz and test the knowledge of your cat-loving friends!
Famous TV and Movie Cats
These are the 15 famous TV and movie cats we love most. You’ll recognize many titles and hopefully discover something new too. Grab some popcorn and enjoy!
The Cutest and Most Lovable Cats in Film:
1. Milo – The Adventures of Milo and Otis (1986 & 1989)
Two best friends, Milo the orange tabby and Otis the pug, romp and explore together in this amusing Japanese adventure film. The English-language version is narrated by Dudley Moore. The simple, yet the enchanting tale of the two animals and their adventures are sure to be a favorite with children of any age.
2. Elsa – Born Free (1966)
Born Free is the touching story of the orphaned lion cub Elsa. When she grows to young adulthood, Elsa’s owners are faced with the heart-wrenching decision to either set her free or place her in a zoo for the rest of her life. The film is inspirational to animal rights activists and animal lovers of all types.
3. Sassy – Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1963 & 1993)
This live-action thriller features a troupe of adventurous animal friends, including Chance the bulldog, Shadow the Golden Retriever and Sassy the Himalayan cat. The friends, all voiced by famous actors, go on a cross-country, high-stakes adventure. In the end, they learn about the importance of family and home. It is a journey that kids are sure to love!
You might like 37 Social Distancing Pick Up Lines.
The Best Animated Movie Cats:
4. Simba – The Lion King (1994)
Disney’s epic animated musical The Lion King introduced us to Mufasa, Simba, Nala, and Scar. Simba is heir to the throne and learns the circle of life from his father King Mufasa. The must-see, blockbuster film won two Academy Awards and a Golden Globe Award.
You might like 17 Tiger Fun Facts.
5. Bagheera – The Jungle Book (1967-2016)
Deep in the jungles of India, Bagheera the black panther discovers an orphan boy in a basket. The big cat serves as protector and friend to Mowgli, keeping him safe from the man-eating tiger Shere Khan. Several remakes and sequels have been made since the classic Disney animated feature film debuted in 1967.
Check out these famous movie quotes.
6. The Pink Panther (1963-2006)
The infamous Pink Panther got his start in the opening sequence of the original (non-animated) Pink Panther film starring Peter Sellers. The lanky, pink cat appeared in the opening of almost every film in the long-running series and a Saturday morning cartoon series, The Pink Panther Show, was later developed. Henry Mancini composed the immediately recognizable “The Pink Panther Theme” for the character.
The Funniest Cats in Comedy:
7. Mr. Bigglesworth – Austin Powers (1997-2002)
Mr. Bigglesworth is Dr. Evil’s cat in Mike Myer’s Austin Powers movies. The long-haired tabby cat loses all his fur due to improperly thawing while escaping a cryonic capsule. The hairless cat is played by a Sphynx cat named Ted NudeGent. Mini-Me, Dr. Evil’s diminutive clone, even has a kitten named Mini Mr. Bigglesworth.
Check out these Cute Cat Puns
8. Toonces the Driving Cat – Saturday Night Live (1989-1992)
When you allow your pet cat to drive your car, nothing good can come of it. Such is the basis of the popular SNL sketch featuring Toonces the Driving Cat. Dana Carvey and Victoria Jackson have driven off a cliff by Toonces to a grand explosion while yelling “Toonces, look out!”
9. Salem – Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996-2003)
The TV sitcom featuring Melissa Joan Hart as Sabrina is based on the Archie Comics series of the same name. Sabrina’s cat Salem (Saberhagen) is a witch who was turned into a cat for attempting to take over the world. The animatronic cat delivers campy one-liners, adding to the light-hearted loopiness of the show.
The Scariest Cats in Horror Films:
10. The Black Cat (1934)
Two of Universal Picture’s biggest horror stars are featured in this dark thriller. Boris Karloff plays Hjalmar Poelzig, the satanic architect who carries a black cat around his house. Visiting psychiatrist Vitus Werdegast, played by Bela Lugosi, lashes out and kills the cat in fear.
11. Church – Pet Sematary (1989)
Church the cat is not the lovable family pet he once was after being reincarnated in the abandoned Native American burial ground. This classic Stephen King film is a cult favorite among horror movie buffs.
12. Butch – The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
A businessman on vacation is exposed to a mysterious gas while boating with his wife. As the months and days pass, he begins to shrink in size until he is small enough to fit inside a dollhouse. Butch the cat finds him to be an irresistible target.
Famous Cats From the Movies:
13. Pyewacket – Bell, Book, and Candle (1958)
This rom-com features a witch (Kim Novak) who falls for her quirky neighbor (James Stewart). She uses her Siamese cat, Pyewacket, to cast a love spell on the man. Love ensues when the cat’s magic works all too well.
14. DC – That Darn Cat (1965 and 1997)
The Siamese tomcat DC (“Darn Cat”) is the star of this comedy thriller. His ability to sneak around unnoticed allows DC to foil and confound criminals and provide clues to his owners. Walt Disney promoted the film, “It takes a Siamese secret agent to unravel the PURR-fect crime!”
15. Keanu (2016)
Keanu the cat goes for a wild ride with Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key in this hilarious action-comedy. The cat is passed from one owner to the next, appearing in one scene as “New Jack” and wearing a do-rag. Later, Keanu appears in a drug-fueled dream sequence speaking in the voice of Keanu Reeves.
List of Famous TV and Movie Cats
Movies Featuring Cats
- The Godfather (1972) Don Corleone’s cat
- From Russia with Love (1963)
- Life of Pi (2012)
- The Wiz (1978)
- The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Cat People (1942 & 1982)
- Alien (1979) Jonesy the cat
- Hocus Pocus (1993) Binx
- The Sentinel (1977) black and white cat
- Game of Thrones series (2011+)
- A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
- House (1977)
- America’s Next Big Cat Star (2015) Brimley
- The Cassandra Cat (1963)
- Let the Right One In (2008)
- Frankenweenie (2012)
- Cat’s Eye (1985) The General
- Sans Soleil (1983)
- You Only Live Twice (1967)
- The Private Life of a Cat (1944)
- Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)
- Eye of the Cat (1969)
- The Long Goodbye (1973)
- Batman Returns (1992)
- The Sick Kitten (1903)
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
- The Cat and the Canary (1927)
- Harry and Tonto (1974) Tonto
- American Psycho (2000)
- La Dolce Vita (1960)
- Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
- Cleo From 5 to 7 (1962)
- Princess Diaries (2001) Fat Louie
- Bringing Up Baby (1938) Baby
- The Cat in the Hat (2003)
- Kedi (2016)
- Nine Lives (2016)
- Garfield: The Movie (2004)
- A Street Cat Named Bob (2016)
- Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore (2010)
- Hocus Pocus (1993)
- Stuart Little (1999)
- Sleepwalkers (1992)
- Ghost Cat (2003)
- The Chronicles of Narnia (2005-2010)
- The Cat from Outer Space (1978) Zunar-J-5/9 Doric-4-7
Animated Movie Cats
- Garfield in Garfield: The Movie (2004)
- Alex in Madagascar (2005)
- Catbus in My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
- Cat in Coraline (2009)
- Clawhauser in Zootopia (2016)
- Danny and Sawyer in Cats Don’t Dance (1997)
- Dino in A Cat in Paris (2010)
- King Leonidas in Bedknobs and Broomsticks (1971)
- Baron Humbert von Gikkingen in The Cat Returns (2002)
- Jiji in Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
- Lucifer in Cinderella (1950, 2002 and 2007)
- Prince John and King Richard in Robin Hood (1973)
- Francis in Felidae (1994)
- Mewsette, Jaune-Tom and Robespierre in Gay Purr-ee (1962)
- Chloe, Ozone and Reginald in The Secret Life of Pets (2016)
- Figaro in Pinocchio (1940)
- Rajah in Aladdin (1992)
- Thomas O’Malley, Duchess, Toulouse, Berlioz and Scat Cat in The AristoCats (1970)
- Si and Am in The Lady and the Tramp (1955)
- Fritz in Fritz the Cat (1972)
- Tai Lung and Master Tigress in Kung Fun Panda (2008, 2011 & 2016)
- Diego, Soto, Zeke and Oscar in Ice Age (2002)
- Puss in Boots in Shrek 2 (2004)
- Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland (1951)
- Tigger in Winnie the Pooh (2011)
- Heathcliff from Heathcliff: The Movie (1986)
More Famous TV and Movie Cats
Famous TV Cats
- Salem (Saberhagen) on Sabrina the Teenage Witch (1996-2003)
- The Crazy Cat Lady (Dr. Eleanor Abernathy MD JD) and her cats on The Simpsons (1989-present)
- Sylvester the cat in Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons (since 1939)
- Lucky on ALF (1986-1990)
- Catwoman’s cats on Batman (1966-1968)
- Snowball on The Simpsons (1989-present)
- Smelly Cat on Friends (1994-2004)
- Scratchy from The Itchy & Scratchy Show on The Simpsons (1989-present)
- Felix from Felix the Cat cartoons (1919-present)
- Tom from Tom and Jerry cartoons (1940-present)
- Garfield from Garfield and Friends (1988-1994)
- Spot on Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987-1994)
- Zazzles on The Big Bang Theory (2007-present)
- Bandit on The Office (2005-2013)
- Heathcliff from Heathcliff (1980)
- Miss Kitty Fantastico on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003)
- Top Cat from Top Cat cartoon (1961-1962)
- Lord Tubbington on Glee (2009-2015)
- Morris the Cat from 9Lives cat food commercials (1968-present)
- Mr. Jinks from Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks on The Huckleberry Hound Show (1958-1961)
- Stimpy (Stimpson J. Cat) from The Ren & Stimpy Show (1991-1995)
- Eek and Mittens from Eek! the Cat (1992-1997)
- Penelope Pussycat from Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies (with Pepe LePew) cartoons
- Tony the Tiger from Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes commercials (1952-present)
- Snagglepuss from Hanna-Barbera cartoons (1959-present)
- Mr. Kitty on South Park (1997-present)
- CatDog on the cartoon of the same name (1998-2005)
- Klondike Kat on Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo cartoons (1964-1973)
- Cake the Cat from Adventure Time cartoon (2007-2018)
- Super Snooper from Snooper and Blabber (Quickdraw McGraw show) (1959-1962)
A surprising number of TV shows and movies feature cats and kittens. Cat lovers will surely recognize their favorite famous TV and movie cats from these titles, and hopefully discover something new as well!
Cat lovers may also enjoy: