Shark Quotes and Captions
Our shark quotes capture some of our fascination with this amazing creature. Many folks look at sharks with a sense of fear. But to write sharks off as just the stuff of nightmares sells them short.
Tip your toes in and enjoy these interesting takes on sharks.
Ten Best Shark Quotes
Here are our favorite shark quotes.
- You’re more likely to drown in the sea of sameness than get eaten by a shark while navigating new waters.
Amy Jo Martin
- Were the diver to think on the jaws of the shark, he wouldn’t lay hands on the precious pearl.
- Without sharks, you take away the apex predator of the ocean, and you destroy the entire food chain.
- But as they say about sharks, it’s not the ones you see that you have to worry about. It’s the ones you don’t see.
- I don’t think there’s such a thing as an unprovoked shark attack.
- If size really mattered, the whale, not the shark, would rule the waters.
- We provoke a shark every time we enter the water where sharks happen to be, for we forget: The ocean is not our territory – it’s theirs.
- For a photographer, sharks are a stirring subject, possessing a perfect blend of grace and power.
- I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can’t even swim.
- There’s nothing in the sea this fish would fear. Other fish run from bigger things. That’s their instinct. But this fish doesn’t run from anything. He doesn’t fear.
Insights on Sharks
The shark heart slows down in the cold, just as our own heart would. But what sets it apart is where our heart would simply stop. The salmon shark keeps on ticking.
I have photographed sharks in waters around the globe, and I always want more and yearn to peer deeper into their world. To feed my passion and to raise awareness, I developed a story about sharks for ‘National Geographic’ magazine.
If in shark-infested waters, don’t assume the fin coming toward you is a dolphin.
We kill 100 million sharks yearly. By 2050 we will have filled the sea with more plastics than fish.
Oh, the shark has pretty teeth, dear. And he shows them pearly white. Just a jackknife has Macheath, dear. And he keeps them out of sight.
Sharks have been swimming the oceans unchallenged for thousands of years; chances are, the species that roam corporate waters will prove just as hardy.
When the sands are all dry, he is gay as a lark. And will talk in contemptuous tones of Shark: But, when the tide rises, and sharks are around, his voice has a timid and tremulous sound.
Short Shark Quotes
These interesting shark quotes get to the point quickly.
Passion, for me, is like a shark – it never stops moving.
Sharks don’t have scales.
All sharks were born swimming.
Journalists are like sharks.
Sharks are being driven to extinction because people want to eat their fins and their flesh.
Pigs eat more tuna than all the planet’s sharks combined.
Sharks don’t target human beings, and they certainly don’t hold grudges.
I’m just a simple guy swimming in a sea of sharks.
Sharks are the criminals of the sea. Dolphins are the outlaws.
Sharks don’t have scales.
I’m like a shark. I can’t keep still. Some call me a workaholic.
Sharks are naturally peaceful.
A shark can smell blood.
The studios will go wherever they smell money. It’s like sharks to the blood.
Short Takes on Sharks
Humans are a much greater threat to sharks than sharks are to humans.
Sharks are like dogs. They only bite when you hurt them.
Sharks are intelligent creatures.
I have a ridiculous fear of sharks, but I’d jump in the water in a second for an amazing role.
I’ve swum with great white sharks.
I’ve seen sharks in the ocean. It hasn’t made me get out of the ocean, that’s for sure.
Live every week like it’s shark week.
What do sharks do on Monday mornings? They get up and start biting. That’s me.
Always you have to train yourself to swim with sharks.
Interesting Sayings on Sharks
Watching Jaws just scared the living daylights out of me when I was young. I know a lot of people my age who are still petrified of sharks because of that film.
If you are in the job for glamour, you’re in for the shock of your life. The media is a huge shark pool.
Interesting fact: a shark will only attack you if you’re wet.
Sharks are beautiful animals, and if you’re lucky enough to see lots of them, that means that you’re in a healthy ocean. You should be afraid if you are in the ocean and don’t see sharks.
The shark is the apex predator in the sea. Sharks have molded evolution for 450 million years. All fish species that are prey to the sharks have had their behavior, their speed, their camouflage, their defense mechanisms molded by the shark.
Are you a man with a conscience, or just a shark who will die when you stop moving forward?
There are no true friends in politics. We are all sharks circling and waiting for traces of blood to appear in the water.
The shark has its head to the west and tail to the east, very much the way the Indians would put a human in the ground.
I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs.
Appreciation for Shark Week
When the shark begins to emerge within your reflection, don’t be afraid. Let it completely devour your big head, as you have also taught the beast to consume others. Fear not! You will no longer need it on your odyssey.
Curtis Tyrone Jones
One of them hissed-not the hiss of a cat, a long, steady tone-more like the hiss of air escaping the rubber raft that is all that lies between you and a dark sea full of sharks, the hiss of your life leaking out at the seams.
He doesn’t move his face when he talks. His eyes are like shark eyes. Dead.
The only thing on the mind of a shark is to eat.
Almost any shark, three or four feet long, could kill a human being if it chose to do it. It could make you bleed to death. But they don’t.
I think sharks are beautiful creatures, and I don’t think we should stop going in the ocean because of them. You drive down the road, and you get in an accident, but most people end up driving down the road again. Surfing is when you go into their home, and it’s just a natural part of life.
By the end of the 20th century, 90 percent of sharks, tuna, swordfish, marlins, groupers, turtles, whales, and other large creatures that prospered in the Gulf for millions of years had been depleted by overfishing.
There is this sweet spot in time when we have an opportunity to stop killing sharks and tunas and swordfish and other wildlife in the sea before it’s too late.
If the world’s oceans have had nearly half a billion years with sharks as the apex predators, then the delicate balance of its food webs must rely on their presence in complex ways we cannot possibly predict.
Somewhere in the ocean, a shark was missing its cold eyes because this man had them.
Sharks have swum the oceans for over 400 million years, but we’re threatening this critically important species for the purpose of making soup – it’s sad and wasteful.
Make no mistake. Your relationships are the heaviest components in your life—all those negotiations and arguments and secrets. The slower we move, the faster we die. Make no mistake; moving is living. Some animals carry each other. To live symbiotically over a lifetime. Star crossed lovers, monogamous swans. We are not swans. We are sharks.
My position is this. If we can’t protect sanctuaries, if we can’t save the whales, the sharks, the fish, our oceans will die.
Remove the predators, and the whole ecosystem begins to crash like a house of cards. As the sharks disappear, the predator-prey balance dramatically shifts, and the health of our oceans declines.
Observations on Sharks
Beyond their immaculate design, the reason sharks rule the ocean is their complete indifference to everything except feeding, procreation, and defending their territory. The shark does not love. It feels no empathy. It trusts nothing. (And,) It lives in perfect harmony with its environment because it has no aspirations or desires.
By nature, I keep moving, man. My theory is, be the shark. You’ve just got to keep moving. You can’t stop.
I’m always swimming forward like a shark. You just keep going, and you don’t rest.
I try my best to avoid the sharks of life, but I have had my share of experiences with them, and in those cases, I just have to handle them accordingly. But I do not swim with sharks… sharks swim with sharks.
Sharks are winners, and they don’t look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.
David X. Cohen
In the end, my love for surfing helped me overcome my fear of sharks.
Instead of squirreling away your earnings early in your career, spend on experiences that will enrich your life – like diving with great white sharks. It can expose you to influential people who could open doors for you.
I’m a shark, and I swam in a lot of different ponds, but I’m ready for the ocean.
When you retire, you don’t get fat and old. C’mon: it’s like a shark. Sharks never stop swimming; that’s when they die. You gotta keep moving.
Funny Shark Quotes
These humorous shark quotes will have you laughing.
- People don’t need to be scared. I tickle sharks. I do when they swim by.
- You don’t have to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the person you’re with.
- I’m afraid of sharks – but only in a water situation.
- For an actor, it’s great fun to play one of these hungry white sharks. Audiences love to hate them.
- Out here in California, in the Pacific Ocean, the sharks have a bad attitude.
- That’s not news! When a shark comes out of the water, walks into a 7-11, and bites you in the ass, then it’s news!
- Turns out, I couldn’t catch them – or even get close to them. I realized that sharks are amazing, beautiful animals who have absolutely no interest in checking me out.
- I don’t know a single surfer who would say, ‘Gee, I wish there were no sharks in the ocean.’
- I’ve never been bitten by a shark, though God knows I had to poke a lot of them in the nose.
- Drummers are like sharks. They have to move all the time, or they die.
- There’s a cardinal rule that you don’t talk about sharks. If you don’t see it, it’s not there.
- French fries kill more people than guns and sharks, yet nobody’s afraid of French fries.
- Many people continue to think of sharks as man-eating beasts. Sharks are enormously powerful and wild creatures, but you’re more likely to be killed by your kitchen toaster than a shark!
Hungry and Adventurous
It seems the movie Jaws has served as an attitude-setter for peoples’ views on sharks. Here are some other opinions expressed in these good shark quotes.
The chances of a shark attacking you are so remote. The sea should be enjoyed, the animals in it. When you see a shark underwater, you should say, ‘How lucky I am to see this beautiful animal in his environment!’
Sharks are the lions of the sea. They glamorize the oceanic glory.
I still think there’s a big part of the population that has a lot of misinformation about sharks. But I think it’s beginning to change a little bit. As good information about sharks permeates popular culture, things may start to change.
Sharks aren’t the monsters we make them out to be.
I don’t think you can be a diver without a shark on the list.
I’m obsessed with great white sharks. And I want to dive into the coral of the Great Barrier Reef.
Sharks are the most perfectly constructed creatures. Some have survived for two hundred million years.
New England waters are some of my favorites – they are some of the richest waters because they are temperate waters and nutrient-rich, and therefore provide food for so many animals, from giant whales to sharks to everything else.
Deep Sea Divas
These shark quotes cover a wide array of opinions on this historic fish.
Orchestras have often been used to conjure up the natural world: Swans, sharks, trout, but not, as far as I know, the often maligned jellyfish.
When I went to Australia, I went shark diving. It was called ‘extreme’ shark diving because although we were in cages, we could touch the sharks swimming by. They were huge, and I’m terrified of sharks.
Books are sharks… sharks have been around for a very long time. There were sharks before dinosaurs, and the reason sharks are still in oceans is that nothing is better at being a shark than a shark.
The Bahamas has mangrove nurseries, coral reefs, shallow seagrass beds, and deep oceanic trenches – all perfect ecosystems for sharks. Photographing multiple shark species in exquisite water was the assignment I had dreamed about from the start.
When I arrived, I felt the spotlight shining brightly on me, and I knew the sharks were ready to strike if I did not pan out and prove myself to be the showman and the player the college ranks had labeled me to be.
I famously tasted shark fin soup many, many years ago before we understood exactly what was going on with the harvesting of sharks. I’ve consequently come out against it. I make personal choices in my life and stand behind them.
Considering their impact, you might expect mosquitoes to get more attention. Sharks kill fewer than a dozen people every year, and they get a week dedicated to them every year.
Here are some frequently asked questions about sharks.
Shark Week on the Discovery Channel begins in early to mid-July and runs for eight days each year. This summer tradition has earned many fans. In 2021, Shark Week ran from July 11 through July 18.
Yes, sharks are fish. Living in water, they use their gills to filter oxygen. Sharks are classified in the elasmobranch fish which is characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton.
There are about 10 fatalities a year involving sharks worldwide. Compare that number of deaths to fatalities involving folks taking selfies which is about 43 per year.
Captions for Instagram
Here are some fun shark captions for Instagram.
- In a world full of fish, be a shark.
- Baby shark, doo doo doo.
- Two giants are going bite to bite.
- A wild time at sea.
- Sharks that always steal mako a great bandit.
- Water you up to, mate?
- Crazy shark lover.
- Be brave. Like a shark!
- All creatures great and big.
- It turns out sharks love live music as much as anyone!
- Drop it like it’s a shark.
- The ocean gets its saltiness from the tears of misunderstood sharks who want to cuddle!
- Come on it, the water’s deadly.
- There’s a legendary shark lurking in these waters.
- There’s nothing more Jawsome than Shark!
- I almost don’t trust you if you don’t like Shark.
- There’s some-fin special about you.
- How do sharks greet one another?
- Big shark energy!
- Go ahead and mako my day.
- Stay jaw-some!
- Sharks. I never saw that coming!
- Tiger sharks will eat just about anything.
- Why wouldn’t they befriend me?
- You’ve got me between a rock and a shark place.
- Where’s my bloody dinner?
- Sharks only attack because no one will look them straight in the eye!
- Hangry sharks make the worst ocean floaties.
- A day among the sharks.
- I feel like the happiest yet most scared person ever!
I hope you enjoyed these fun shark quotes.
By Mike O’Halloran
Mike is the co-founder and editor of ListCaboodle. While he’s never seen a shark in person, he has watched Jaws several times.
You are on our Best Shark Quotes and Captions page.
You might like: