Outlander Quotes, Sayings, Lines
The unpredictability of this TV series showcasing the steamy romance and true love between lead characters Jamie and Claire makes it a fan favorite.
These Outlander quotes are sure to remind fans of the sizzling romance between Claire and Jamie.
Outlander is a TV series on Starz network based on Diana Gabaldon‘s time travel book series of the same name. The show predominantly features the relationship between Claire Randall, a World War II nurse who is transported back to 1743 Scotland, and Jamie Frasier, a Highland native. The show is perhaps known for the steamy romance between its two leads with the backdrop of Scotland.
Quotes from Outlander
- You are mine, always, if ye will it or no if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I willna let ye go.
- Don’t be afraid. There’s the two of us now.
- It has always been forever for me…
- I always wake when you do, Sassenach; I sleep ill without ye by my side.
Outlander Love Quotes
- His mouth was warm against my ear. Claire, I’m to hang in the morning. What happens to me between now and then doesn’t matter to anyone. I drew back and stared at him.
- You’re tearing my guts out, Claire.
- Listen to me. If you ever raise a hand to me again, James Fraser, I will cut out your heart and eat it for breakfast, do you understand me?
- Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.
- Aye, you have my word.
- I will find you, he whispered in my ear. I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you – then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest.
- For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary.
You might like – Long Quotes: 15 Best Things Ever Written
Outlander Quotes Meme
Jamie and Claire Outlander Quotes
- When I asked my da how ye knew which was the right woman, he told me when the time came, I’d have no doubt. And I didn’t. When I woke in the dark on the way to Leoch, with you sitting on my chest, cursing me for bleeding to death, I said to myself, Jamie Fraser, for all ye canna see what she looks like, and for all she weighs as much as a good draught horse, this is the woman.
- The bravest are surely those who have the clearest mind of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it.
- He takes both my hands in his, then, and kissed them – the left which still bore the gold ring of my marriage to Frank, and then the right, with his own silver ring.
- Da mi basia mille, he whispered, smiling. Give me a thousand kisses. It was the inscription inside my ring, a brief quotation from a love song by Catullus. I bent and gave him one back. Dein mille altera, I said. Then a thousand more.
- When the day shall come that we do part, he said softly and turned to look at me, if my last words are not I love you ye’ll ken it was because I didn’t have time.
- D’ye ken that the only time I am without pain is in your bed, Sassenach? When I take ye, when I lie in your arms—my wounds are healed, then, my scars forgotten.
Outlander Best Scenes of Jamie and Claire
Claire Randall Quotations
- I continued staring at him, dumbstruck. Whatever I had been expecting, it wasn’t this. Seeing my openmouthed expression, he continued lightly. When I asked my da how ye knew which was the right woman, he told me when the time came, I’d have no doubt. And I didn’t. When I woke in the dark under that tree on the road to Leoch, with you sitting on my chest, cursing me for bleeding to death, I said to myself, ‘Jamie Fraser, for all ye canna see what she looks like, and for all she weighs as much as a good draft horse, this is the woman’.
- All right you bloody Scottish bastard let’s see how stubborn you really are.
- I started toward him, and he backed away, talking rapidly. I said to myself, ‘She’s mended ye twice in as many hours, me lad; life amongst the MacKenzies being what it is, it might be as well to wed a woman as can stanch a wound and set broken bones.’ And I said to myself, ‘Jamie, lad if her touch feels so bonny on your collarbone, imagine what it might feel like lower down.
Important Lines from Outlander
- Forgiveness is not a single act, but a matter of constant practice.
- He dodged around a chair. Of course, I thought it might ha’ just been the effects of spending four months in a monastery, without the benefit of female companionship, but then that ride through the dark together–he paused to sigh theatrically, neatly evading my grab at his sleeve–with that lovely broad arse wedged between my thighs–he ducked a blow aimed at his left ear and sidestepped, getting a low table between us–and that rock-solid head thumping me in the chest–a small metal ornament bounced off his own head and went clanging to the floor–I said to myself.
- He was laughing so hard at this point that he had to gasp for breath between phrases. Jamie…I said…for all she’s a Sassenach bitch…with a tongue like an adder’s …with a bum like that…what does it matter if she’s a f-face like a sh-sh-eep?
- You mean to tell me that you married me out of love? I demanded. He raised his eyebrows, struggling to draw in a breath.
Outlander Series Excerpts
- Because I wanted you. He turned from the window to face me. More than I ever wanted anything in my life, he added softly.
- I had one last try.
- Does it bother you that I’m not a virgin? He hesitated a moment before answering.
Well, no, he said slowly, so long as it doesn’t bother you that I am. He grinned at my drop-jawed expression and backed toward the door.
- Reckon one of us should know what they’re doing, he said. The door closed softly behind him; clearly the courtship was over.
Jamie Fraser Outlander Quotes
- Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ!
- I always wake when you do, Sassenach; I sleep ill without ye by my side.
- You are my courage, as I am your conscience, he whispered. You are my heart—and I your compassion. We are neither of us whole, alone. Do ye not know that, Sassenach?
- I always wake when you do, Sassenach; I sleep ill without ye by my side.
- No, my Sassenach, he said softly. Open your eyes. Look at me. For that is your punishment, as it is mine. See what you have done to me, as I have done to you. Look at me.
- Joy. Fear. Fear, most of all. His hand came up and smoothed my curls away from his nose
- I havena been afraid for a verra long time, Sassenach, he whispered. But now I think I am. For there is something to be lost, now.
- A man should pay tribute to your body, he said softly… For you are beautiful, and that is your right.
- Bet you didn’t know: Males watch Outlander! Fifty percent of the U.S. audience is men.
> Check out The Queen’s Gambit Quotes.
Jamie Sayings from Outlander
- And you, my Sassenach? What were you born for? To be the lady of a manor, or to sleep in the fields like a gypsy? To be a healer, or a don’s wife, or an outlaw’s lady?
- I was born for you, I said simply, and held out my arms to him.
- For the moment, everything had disappeared: the church, the battle, the screams and shouts and the rumble of limber wheels along the rutted road through Freehold. There wasn’t anything but her and him, and he opened his eyes to look on her face, to fix it in his mind forever.
- It wasn’t the risk, I said, flicking my toes at a big black-and-white splotched carp. Or not entirely. It was—well, it was partly fear, but mostly it was that I—I couldn’t leave Jamie. I shrugged helplessly. I—simply couldn’t.
- Claire. The name knifed across his heart with a pain that was more racking than anything his body had ever been called on to withstand.
- I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have.
- Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you’re mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.
Best Outlander Quotes
- Where did you learn to kiss like that? I said, a little breathless. He grinned and pulled me close again.
- I said I was a virgin, not a monk, he said, kissing me again. If I find I need guidance, I’ll ask.
- Does it ever stop? The wanting you? Even when I’ve just left ye. I want you so much my chest feels tight and my fingers ache with wanting to touch ye again.
- I was crying for joy, my Sassenach,’ he said softly. He reached out slowly and took my face between his hands. And thanking God that I have two hands. That I have two hands to hold you with. To serve you with, to love you with.
- Thanking God that I am a whole man still, because of you.
- For so many years, for so long, I have been so many things, so many different men. But here, he said, so softly I could barely hear him, here in the dark, with you… I have no name.
- I meant it, Claire,’ he said quietly. ‘My life is yours. And it’s yours to decide what we shall do, where we go next. To France, to Italy, even back to Scotland. My heart has been yours since first I saw ye, and you’ve held my soul and body between your two hands here, and kept them safe. We shall go as ye say.
Quotations about Marriage
- We have nothing now between us, save — respect, perhaps. And I think that respect has maybe room for secrets, but not for lies.
- A good marriage is one of the most precious gifts from God.
- There was another reason. The main one.
Reason? I said stupidly.
Why I married you.
Which was? I don’t know what I expected him to say, perhaps some further revelation of his family’s contorted affairs. What he did say was more of a shock, in its way.
Because I wanted you. He turned from the window to face me. More than I ever wanted anything in my life, he added softly.
Funny Outlander Quotes
- He felt me wake, and drew me close, as though to preserve a moment longer the union we had reached in those last seconds of our perilous joining. I curled beside him, putting my arms around him. He opened his eyes then and sighed, the long mouth curling in a faint smile as his glance met mine. I raised my brows in silent question. Oh, aye, Sassenach, he answered a bit ruefully. I am your master … and you’re mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.
- If ye loved him, he must ha’ been a good man.’
‘Then I shall do my best to honor his spirit by serving his wife.
- I wanted ye from the first I saw ye – but I loved ye when you wept in my arms and let me comfort you, that first time at Leoch.
- They’re only Scotch pearls, he said, apologetically, but they look bonny on you. His fingers lingered a moment on my neck. Those were your mother’s pearls! said Dougal, glowering at the necklace. Aye, said Jamie calmly, and now they’re my wife’s.
Outlander Romantic Quotes
- I like ye fat, Sassenach… Fat and juicy as a plump wee hen. I like it fine.
- A man who had never spoken love to me, who had never needed to, for I knew he loved me, as surely as I knew I lived. For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary. It is all. It is undying. And it is enough.
- I said ‘Lord, if I’ve never had courage in my life before, let me have it now. Let me be brave enough not to fall on my knees and beg her to stay.
- Murtagh was right about women. Sassenach, I risked my life for ye, committing theft, arson, assault, and murder into the bargain. In return for which ye call me names, insult my manhood, kick me in the ballocks and claw my face. Then I beat you half to death and tell ye all the most humiliating things have ever happened to me, and you say ye love me. He laid his head on his knees and laughed some more. Finally, he rose and held out a hand to me, wiping his eyes with the other.
- When the day shall come that we do part… if my last words are not I love you ye’ll ken it was because I didna have time.
- Nothing will harm ye while there is breath in my body, a nighean donn. Nothing.
Outlander Quotes About Scotland
- You’re no verra sensible, Sassenach, but I like ye fine. Let’s go.
- I believe you, he said firmly. I dinna understand it a bit—not yet—but I believe you. Claire, I believe you! Listen to me! There’s the truth between us, you and I, and whatever ye tell me, I shall believe it. He gave me a gentle shake. It doesna matter what it is. You’ve told me. That’s enough for now. Be still, mo duinne. Lay your head and rest. You’ll tell me the rest of it later. And I’ll believe you.
- My life is yours. And it’s yours to decide what we shall do, where we go next. To France, to Italy, even back to Scotland. My heart has been yours since the first time I saw ye, and you’ve held my soul and body between your hands here and kept them safe. We shall go as ye say.
- I prayed for guidance, kneeling before the Blessed Sacrament, he went on, and as I sat in the silence of the chapel, I seemed to see you as a shipwrecked traveler. And it seems to me that that is a good parallel to your present situation, is it not?
Imagine such a soul, Madame, suddenly cast away in a strange land, bereft of friends and familiarity, without resources save what the new land can provide. Such a happening is a disaster, truly, and yet maybe the opening for great opportunity and blessings. What if the new land shall be rich? New friends may be made, and a new life began.
If you have any suggestions for Outlander quotes, please let us know via the contact page. Thanks.
Time Travel Outlander Quotes
- For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary. It is all. It is undying. And it is enough.
- There was a curious peace in this day, a sense of things working quietly in their proper courses, nothing minding the upsets and turmoils of human concerns. Perhaps it was the peace that one always finds outdoors, far enough away from buildings and clatter. Maybe it was the result of gardening, that quiet sense of pleasure in touching growing things, the satisfaction of helping them thrive.
- I felt deeply betrayed that the man I depended on as a friend, protector, and lover intended to do such a thing to me. And my sense of self-preservation was quietly terrified at the thought of submitting myself to the mercies of someone who handled a fifteen-pound claymore as though it were a flywhisk.
- Sometimes our best actions result in things that are most regrettable.
- Got so many, but the one that accompanies the scene that says how much they love each other on your feet soldier.
- When the day shall come, that we do part, if my last words are not ‘I Love You’ – ye’ll ken it was because I didna have time.
- I stood still, vision blurring, and in that moment, I heard my heartbreak. It was a small, clean sound, like the snapping of a flower’s stem.
- Do you really think we’ll ever — I do, he said with certainty, not letting me finish. He leaned over and kissed my forehead. I know it, Sassenach, and so do you. You were meant to be a mother, and I surely dinna intend to let anyone else father your children.
Season Five Quotations
- Do you want wee Bonnie? Do you want to keep her? We have a big house. I have seen you with her Sassenach. I see how you would have looked with Bree. (And), I thought this might be the last chance to raise a bairn together.
- I have lived through war and lost much. I know what’s worth the fight and what is not. Honor and courage are matters of the bone. And what a man will kill for, he’ll sometimes die for, too. A man’s life springs from a woman’s bones, and in her life is his honor Christened. For the sake of love alone would I walk through fire again?
- There’s been an attack on the ridge. They’ve taken your mother. I think it was the Browns. We’ll get her back.
- You’re alive. You’re whole. All is well.
- Claire: I love you.
Jamie: When the day should come that we must part, if my last words are not I love you, you ken it’s because I didn’t have time.
- Claire: How do you feel?
Jamie: I feel like a bowl of moldy cripe… with maggots.
Claire: You’d laugh on your death bed, wouldn’t you?
- Claire: I don’t want you to worry about me. I’m just a little shaken.
Jamie: Claire, I ken what it feels like.
Claire: No! No! I have lived through a f___ing world war. I have lost a child. (And) I lost two husbands. I’ve been starved with an army, and I’ve been beaten, and I’ve been betrayed, and I’ve (groans and sobs) and been imprisoned, and I did not — I survived. And this. I am supposed to be shattered by this? Well, I won’t be. I won’t.
More Outlander Season Five Quotes
- Please know that I love you even more for wanting to take the chance. I so regretted that we were never parents together, but regret isn’t enough. (And) I love our life together. I don’t think we would be the best home for her.
- What a horrific combination of words to have to find within themselves and utter to another human being.
- We wanted the stones to take us home, and they did.
- He thought me no better than the dirt under his boot. A mere woman of no consequence.
Learn more about the series by diving deeper into a timeline, about the author, and more.
Outlander TV Series Season Setting and Synopsis
• SEASON ONE: Setting: Scotland. Claire, a WWII nurse, meets and marries Jamie Fraser after traveling back in time to 1743.
• SEASON TWO: Setting: Paris and Scotland. Claire time travels to visit her first husband Frank. She vows to return to Jamie.
• SEASON THREE: Setting: Boston. Jamie endures prison and returns to Scotland to be a printer. Claire enrolls in medical school in Boston.
• SEASON FOUR: Setting: North Carolina. Jamie and Claire seek to move to Scotland but end up claiming land at Fraser’s Ridge.
• SEASON FIVE: Setting: Fraser’s Ridge. Claire and Jaime fight to protect their land at Fraser’s Ridge as the American Revolutionary War looms heavily.
About the Author
Diana Gabaldon wrote the first Outlander novel in 1991. It became an immediate New York Times bestseller. Since then, she has penned seven more books in the series.
The adventure-romance novels have sold more than 28 million copies worldwide and created a passionate following. A television series based on the novels can be seen on the Starz network.
Gabaldon holds degrees in zoology, marine biology, and a Ph.D. in quantitative behavioral ecology.
The eight major works in the Outlander series of books by author Diana Gabaldon:
- Outlander (The first novel in the series),
- In Amber Voyager,
- Drums of Autumn,
- The Fiery Cross,
- A Breath of Snow and Ashes,
- An Echo In The Bone Written In My Own Heart’s Blood,
- Coming soon: The author is working on the next book in the series, Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone
Outlander Fun Facts
- The Lord John Books are a series of mystery novels that feature Lord John Grey, a secondary character in Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander Series.
- Outlander’s author, Diana Gabaldon gained inspiration to write Outlander after watching an episode of Doctor Who.
The highlanders of Scotland poke fun at Claire by calling her a “Sassenach” (meaning Outlander, e.g, from England) because she is English and knows little about their Gaelic culture.
Definition of Sassenach
A “Sassenach” means an English person. So, when Jamie calls Claire “Sassenach,” he is referring to her roots. And, in this case, he is using it as a term of affection.
Claire, he said, quite gently, it was you. It’s always been you, and it always will be. Get into bed, and put the candle out. As soon as I’ve fastened the shutters, smoored the hearth, and barred the door, I’ll come and keep ye warm.
Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone,
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, ’til our Life shall be Done.
- HABB — Husbands Against Book Boyfriends.
- I’ll have a Scotch on the rocks.
- Your face is my heart.
- It’s an Outlander thing.
- Aye. Lass.
- Outlander = 50 Shades of Plaid.
- My other husband is a Scottish Highlander.
- There’s the two of us now.
- As they say, “Wherever Claire goes, there is where the whiskey flows.”
- When the police arrested me, they read me my rights. They said, “Anything can and will be held against you.” My reply, “James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser!”
# # #
— Olivia Becker
Olivia is an Outlander fanatic and writer based in Kansas City.
You’re on the Outlander Quotes, Sayings, Lines page.