Short Deep Quotes: Thoughtful & Reflective
A few words can have a major impact - check out these insights and reflect on your own approach to living life.
These short deep quotes cover a wide range of topics that address every day living including relationships, life, culture and politics. A review of this collection will put your brain to work, and hopefully, you’ll walk away with a new insight or two about your approach to life.
99 short deep quotes to make you think
In the spirit of “less is more,” we present these thought-provoking short quotes.
Menu – Jump to Any Section on This Page:
- Quotes to make you think
- Quotes to ponder
- BONUS! quotes
- A friend to all is a friend to none.
- What labels me, negates me.
- When words fail, music speaks.
- Close both eyes to see with the other eye.
Check out these short quotations for tattoos.
- The menu is not the meal.
- Hate is easy. Love takes courage.
- The very essence of romance is uncertainty.
- The trouble is, you think you have time.
- In deep sadness there is no place for sentimentality.
William S. Burroughs
Mindful life quotes
- Where there is love, there is no darkness.
- If love is a sickness, patience is the remedy.
- If you want to conquer fear, don’t sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.
- We are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness.
Thích Nhat Hanh
Quotes to make you think
- Happiness is the greatest hiding place for despair.
- Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is.
Some things scratch the surface while others strike at your soul.
- Happiness depends upon ourselves.
- Silence is as deep as eternity, speech a shallow as time.
- Dynamic activity and deep rest of the mind are complementary to each other.
- You don’t drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Edwin Louis Cole
- I feel safe in white because deep down inside, I’m an angel.
- A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
- The deeper thought is, the taller it becomes.
- People sleep, and when they die they wake.
- Beauty will save the world.
- All human wisdom is summed up in two words; wait and hope.
- The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
- I am not deep, but I am very wide.
Honoré de Balzac
- Conscience doth make cowards of us all.
- People do not lack strength; they lack will.
- When a person can’t find a deep sense of meaning, they distract themselves with pleasure.
- Don’t be ‘a writer’. Be writing.
- There is no truth. There is only perception.
- Gratitude is one of the least articulate of the emotions, especially when it is deep.
Reflective & meaningful quotes
- Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
- Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one.
- My soul has grown deep like the rivers.
- He who is untrue to his own cause cannot command the respect of others.
- The course of true love never did run smooth.
- Civilization is like a thin layer of ice upon a deep ocean of chaos and darkness.
- When the mind is perfectly clear, what is is what we want.
- If I know what love is, it is because of you.
- I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain.
- A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.
- Love is the absence of judgment.
- Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.
- Somewhere deep down there’s a decent man in me, he just can’t be found.
- No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.
- There is no mistake in nature.
- To understand everything is to forgive everything.
- It is not I who am strong, it is reason, it is truth.
- You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
- There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
- When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive.
- The wound is the place where the light enters you.
- Dreams have only one owner at a time. That’s why dreamers are lonely.
- He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know.
- Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.
- To love is to recognize yourself in another.
- Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.
- We shall see but a little way if we require to understand what we see.
Henry David Thoreau
- To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
- Deep vengeance is the daughter of deep silence.
- What worries you, masters you.
- Deep down, I happen to be very shallow.
- “I” is another.
- Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
- When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
- We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Hug the shore; let others try the deep.
- I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.
- When love prevails, fear departs.
- Deep experience is never peaceful.
- One must be deeply aware of the impermanence of the world.
Quotes to ponder
- Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.
- All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Edgar Allan Poe
- Hold a true friend with both your hands.
- If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?
Stanislaw J. Lec
- Remember your humanity, and forget the rest.
- Time is a created thing. To say “I don’t have time”, is like saying, “I don’t want to”.
- Genius is the recovery of childhood at will.
- Beauty may be skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone.
- The soul lives there in the silent breath.
- Those who have a voice must speak for those who are voiceless.
Bishop Oscar Romero
- To be sane in a world of madman is in itself madness.
- The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.
- Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light.
- In any really good subject, one has only to probe deep enough to come to tears.
- Once you hear the details of victory, it is hard to distinguish it from a defeat.
- All great truths begin as blasphemies.
George Bernard Shaw
- I have drunken deep of joy, And I will taste no other wine tonight.
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- The roots of racism lie deep in man’s nature, wounded and bruised by original sin.
BONUS! Even more quotes
- When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
- It appears to be a law that you cannot have a deep sympathy with both man and nature.
Henry David Thoreau
- A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.
- Never regret something that once made you happy.
- A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed.
- This life is like a swimming pool. You dive into the water, but you can’t see how deep it is.
- If I feel frustrated in a situation, I take a deep breath and walk away.
- The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.
- Deep breaths are very helpful at shallow parties.
- If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything.
- Don’t judge someone just because they sin differently than you.
- One way to break up any kind of tension is good deep breathing.
- I am not young enough to know everything.
- Never make fun of someone who mispronounces a word. It means they learned it by reading.
- Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.
- If the world was blind how many people would you impress?
- I suffer from deep depression, so my only release is music.
- The prettiest eyes have cried the most.
- Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.
- We have deep depth.
- He who loves, loves you with your dirt.
- Die with memories, not dreams.
- Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
- Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
- Politics is in a crisis because it’s separated from our deep humanity.
- What gets us into trouble is not what we don’t know. It’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so.
- Life is too short to be living somebody else’s dream.
- One’s art goes as far and as deep as one’s love goes.
- It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
- Silence is a true friend who never betrays.
- Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.
- Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself.
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
- Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.
- Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
- Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
- I want you to be everything that’s you, deep at the center of your being.
- Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
- Respect yourself and others will respect you.
- The funniest people are the saddest ones.
- You cannot open a book without learning something.
- He who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions.
- The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
- Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change.
- Give, even if you only have a little.
- People with opinions just go around bothering each other.
- There is no fear for one whose mind is not filled with desires.
- You yourself must strive. The Buddhas only point the way.
- If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart.
- Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.
- Meditate… do not delay, lest you later regret it.
- Understanding is the heartwood of well-spoken words.
- All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
- Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
- Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
- The root of suffering is attachment.
- Attachment leads to suffering.
- May all beings have happy minds.
- You only lose what you cling to.
- A jug fills drop by drop.
- One who acts on truth is happy in this world and beyond.
- Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
- The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
- The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
Publilius Syrus quotations
- I often regret that I have spoken; never that I have been silent.
- Where there is unity there is always victory.
- It is a very hard undertaking to seek to please everybody.
- I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
- A rolling stone gathers no moss.
- The friendship that can come to an end, never really began.
- No one knows what he can do until he tries.
- Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Good health and good sense are two of life’s greatest blessings.
- Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them.
Tip: These short deep quotes make great photo captions.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe quotations
- Nothing is worth more than this day.
- Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.
- Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
- The solution of every problem is another problem.
- Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
- When ideas fail, words come in very handy.
- Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
- The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.
- None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
- Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
- As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.
- Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.
- Love and desire are the spirit’s wings to great deeds.
- Wisdom is only found in truth.
- Every second is of infinite value.
You are on the short deep quotations page.