Short Deep Quotes: Thoughtful & Reflective
A few words can have a major impact - check out these insights and reflect on your own approach to living life.
These short deep quotes cover a wide range of topics that address every day living including relationships, life, culture and politics. A review of this collection will put your brain to work, and hopefully, you’ll walk away with a new insight or two about your approach to life.
99 short deep quotes to make you think
In the spirit of “less is more,” we present these thought-provoking short quotes.
Menu – Jump to Any Section on This Page:
- Quotes to make you think
- Quotes to ponder
- BONUS! quotes
- A friend to all is a friend to none.
- What labels me, negates me.
- When words fail, music speaks.
- Close both eyes to see with the other eye.
Check out these short quotations for tattoos.
- The menu is not the meal.
- Hate is easy. Love takes courage.
- The very essence of romance is uncertainty.
- The trouble is, you think you have time.
- In deep sadness there is no place for sentimentality.
William S. Burroughs
Mindful life quotes
Where there is love, there is no darkness.
If love is a sickness, patience is the remedy.
If you want to conquer fear, don’t sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.
We are here to awaken from our illusion of separateness.
Thích Nhat Hanh
Quotes to make you think
Happiness is the greatest hiding place for despair.
Man is the only creature who refuses to be what he is.
Some things scratch the surface while others strike at your soul.
Happiness depends upon ourselves.
Silence is as deep as eternity, speech a shallow as time.
Dynamic activity and deep rest of the mind are complementary to each other.
You don’t drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.
Edwin Louis Cole
I feel safe in white because deep down inside, I’m an angel.
A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
The deeper thought is, the taller it becomes.
People sleep, and when they die they wake.
Beauty will save the world.
All human wisdom is summed up in two words; wait and hope.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
I am not deep, but I am very wide.
Honoré de Balzac
Conscience doth make cowards of us all.
People do not lack strength; they lack will.
When a person can’t find a deep sense of meaning, they distract themselves with pleasure.
Don’t be ‘a writer’. Be writing.
There is no truth. There is only perception.
Gratitude is one of the least articulate of the emotions, especially when it is deep.
Reflective & meaningful quotes
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one.
My soul has grown deep like the rivers.
He who is untrue to his own cause cannot command the respect of others.
The course of true love never did run smooth.
Civilization is like a thin layer of ice upon a deep ocean of chaos and darkness.
When the mind is perfectly clear, what is is what we want.
If I know what love is, it is because of you.
I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain.
A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.
Love is the absence of judgment.
Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.
Somewhere deep down there’s a decent man in me, he just can’t be found.
No tree, it is said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down to hell.
There is no mistake in nature.
To understand everything is to forgive everything.
It is not I who am strong, it is reason, it is truth.
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
There can be no deep disappointment where there is not deep love.
Martin Luther King, Jr.
When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive.
The wound is the place where the light enters you.
Dreams have only one owner at a time. That’s why dreamers are lonely.
He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know.
Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.
To love is to recognize yourself in another.
Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.
We shall see but a little way if we require to understand what we see.
Henry David Thoreau
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
Deep vengeance is the daughter of deep silence.
What worries you, masters you.
Deep down, I happen to be very shallow.
“I” is another.
Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
Hug the shore; let others try the deep.
I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.
When love prevails, fear departs.
Deep experience is never peaceful.
One must be deeply aware of the impermanence of the world.
Quotes to ponder
Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Edgar Allan Poe
Hold a true friend with both your hands.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?
Stanislaw J. Lec
Remember your humanity, and forget the rest.
Time is a created thing. To say “I don’t have time”, is like saying, “I don’t want to”.
Genius is the recovery of childhood at will.
Beauty may be skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone.
The soul lives there in the silent breath.
Those who have a voice must speak for those who are voiceless.
Bishop Oscar Romero
To be sane in a world of madman is in itself madness.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.
Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light.
In any really good subject, one has only to probe deep enough to come to tears.
Once you hear the details of victory, it is hard to distinguish it from a defeat.
All great truths begin as blasphemies.
George Bernard Shaw
I have drunken deep of joy, And I will taste no other wine tonight.
Percy Bysshe Shelley
The roots of racism lie deep in man’s nature, wounded and bruised by original sin.
BONUS! Even more quotes
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
It appears to be a law that you cannot have a deep sympathy with both man and nature.
Henry David Thoreau
A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.
Never regret something that once made you happy.
A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed.
This life is like a swimming pool. You dive into the water, but you can’t see how deep it is.
If I feel frustrated in a situation, I take a deep breath and walk away.
The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.
Deep breaths are very helpful at shallow parties.
If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything.
Don’t judge someone just because they sin differently than you.
One way to break up any kind of tension is good deep breathing.
I am not young enough to know everything.
Never make fun of someone who mispronounces a word. It means they learned it by reading.
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.
If the world was blind how many people would you impress?
I suffer from deep depression, so my only release is music.
The prettiest eyes have cried the most.
Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity.
We have deep depth.
He who loves, loves you with your dirt.
Die with memories, not dreams.
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood.
Politics is in a crisis because it’s separated from our deep humanity.
What gets us into trouble is not what we don’t know. It’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so.
Life is too short to be living somebody else’s dream.
One’s art goes as far and as deep as one’s love goes.
- It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
- Silence is a true friend who never betrays.
- Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance.
- Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself.
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
- Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
- Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.
- Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
- Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
- I want you to be everything that’s you, deep at the center of your being.
- Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
- Respect yourself and others will respect you.
- The funniest people are the saddest ones.
- You cannot open a book without learning something.
- He who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions.
- The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
- Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change.
- Give, even if you only have a little.
- People with opinions just go around bothering each other.
- There is no fear for one whose mind is not filled with desires.
- You yourself must strive. The Buddhas only point the way.
- If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart.
- Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded.
- Meditate… do not delay, lest you later regret it.
- Understanding is the heartwood of well-spoken words.
- All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
- Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
- Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
- The root of suffering is attachment.
- Attachment leads to suffering.
- May all beings have happy minds.
- You only lose what you cling to.
- A jug fills drop by drop.
- One who acts on truth is happy in this world and beyond.
- Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
- The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
- The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
Publilius Syrus quotations
- I often regret that I have spoken; never that I have been silent.
- Where there is unity there is always victory.
- It is a very hard undertaking to seek to please everybody.
- I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
- A rolling stone gathers no moss.
- The friendship that can come to an end, never really began.
- No one knows what he can do until he tries.
- Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.
- Good health and good sense are two of life’s greatest blessings.
- Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them.
Tip: These quotations and sayings make great photo captions.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe quotations
- Nothing is worth more than this day.
- Dream no small dreams for they have no power to move the hearts of men.
- Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
- The solution of every problem is another problem.
- Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.
- When ideas fail, words come in very handy.
- Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.
- The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone.
- None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
- Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least.
- As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.
- Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.
- Love and desire are the spirit’s wings to great deeds.
- Wisdom is only found in truth.
- Every second is of infinite value.
You are on the short deep quotations page.