The Old Fashioned: Jokes, Quotes, Captions
The name “old-fashioned” in and of itself embodies a classic drink that has withstood the test of time. David A. Embury’s The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks lists the old fashioned as one of the six basic drinks.
Let’s take a deeper dive into this classic cocktail.
The Old Fashioned: At A Glance
|TYPE OF DRINK:||Cocktail|
|ALCOHOL:||Whiskey and less frequently brandy|
|MAIN INGREDIENTS:||Muddled sugar (or simple syrup), Angostura bitters, whiskey or brandy, and orange zest.|
|GARNISHES:||Orange slice and a cocktail cherry.|
|HOW TO SERVE:||Start with the sugar (a brown cube works well) and add two dashes of bitter into the sugar and then muddle the two to ground down the cube into a paste. Drop-in an oversized ice cube. Add your whiskey or brandy (about 2 ounces)—twirl spoon to dissolve about half of the sugar. Add zest from orange peel and garnish with the same peel and a cherry or two.|
|DATE INVENTED:||1806 – The Old Fashioned can be traced back to the original cocktails.|
|NAMED AFTER:||The Chicago Tribune coined the term after drinkers who refused to adapt to the times and placed their orders “the old fashioned way” with a brown spirit, water, sugar, and bitters.|
|FANS OF THE COCKTAIL:||Mad Men’s Don Draper is an old fashioned drinker, as is “Hot Lips” Houlihan from the TV show M*A*S*H.|
How to make a good Old Fashioned?
The recipes are numerous but here are two that we really like.
The old-fashioned Old Fashioned
Follow the directions in the “How to Serve” section above. Important: select either brandy or whiskey that you’d be comfortable drinking straight.
Quick Old Fashioned variation
1.5 ounces of bourbon, .5 ounces of Thatcher’s Blood Orange, one large ice cube, orange zest, and 2 cherries.
How to make the old fashioned cocktail video
Old Fashioned Jokes
- You could call me old fashioned,
But that’s a whiskey proposition.
- What did the old fashioned say to the glass of whiskey?
- What has 100 legs and one cherry?
A centipede drinking an Old Fashioned.
- To relieve stress, I do yoga.
Just kidding, I drink old fashioned cocktails in my yoga pants.
- A polar bear walks into a bar and says, “I’ll have an Old… … … Fashioned.” The bartender says, why the big pause? The polar bear replies, “I don’t know; I guess I’ve always had them.”
- Old fashioneds should be served in Capri pouches. When you can’t fit the straw into the hole anymore, you’ve had enough.
Captions About The Old Fashioned
- I like that you’re a little Old Fashioned.
- Call me old-fashioned.
- I make pour decisions.
- Whiskey Business.
- The Granddaddy of Cocktails.
- Save water, drink old fashioneds.
- Old Fashioned but Never Out of Style.
- Happy Hour Views.
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Old Fashioneds.
- The World’s First Classic Cocktail.
- Twinkle, twinkle little star, point us to the nearest bar.
- Old fashioned Enthusiast.
- My life coach is an old fashioned.
- I’m just an old fashioned kind of guy.
- Stir Mix a lot.
- Old Fashioned Kind of Love.
- Have some good Old Fashioned fun!
- The only thing I like throwing back on Thursdays is Old Fashioned’s.
- Old Fashioned: Official State Drink of Wisconsin.
- Just an Old Fashioned Love Song.
Call Me Old Fashioned Meme
Old Fashioned Quotes
- The only cocktail really to rival the martini and its variants.
- This is a drink to be lingered over, a drink made for contemplation.
Robert Simonson and Daniel Krieger
- (The Old Fashioned is)… A member of the cocktail trinity.
George Jean Nathan (along with the Martini and Manhattan)
- There is no bad whiskey. There are only some whiskeys that aren’t as good as others
- Why it is the suave Don Draper’s favorite cocktail remains something of a mystery; this is a sweet, sweet drink. It is also incredibly labor-intensive.
Amanda Hailey, Vintage Cocktails: Retro Recipes for the Home Mixologist
- Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough
- What whiskey will not cure, there is no cure for.
- Time was when the affable and sympathetic bartender moistened a lump of sugar with Angostura bitters, dropped in a lump of ice, neither too large nor too small, stuck in a miniature bar spoon and passed the glass to the client with a bottle of good bourbon from which said the client was privileged to pour his own drink. In most places, the price was 15 cents or two for a quarter
“Old Timer” in a letter to the editor of the New York Times
Here are some frequently asked questions about the classic drink, the old fashioned.
Is the drink called “old fashion” or “old fashioned”?
The cocktail is called an old fashioned. Old fashion is a misspelling.
Who invented the old fashioned?
The Chicago Tribune named the drink in an article after drinkers who refused to adapt to the times and placed their orders “the old fashioned way” with a brown spirit, water, sugar, and bitters.
What is the origin of the drink?
Although the cocktail’s origin dates back to 1806, The Pendennis Club in Louisville, Kentucky, notes that the old fashioned cocktail was invented at the club in 1881. A bartender by the name of James E. Pepper is said to be the inventor. The city of Louisville has named the drink its official cocktail.
He brought the cocktail to the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel bar in New York City.
How is a Wisconsin old fashioned different than most?
A Wisconsin old fashioned is usually made with brandy and also served with soda. Until you’ve had a Wisconsin old fashioned in Madison’s The Old Fashioned restaurant along with your dinner of cheese curds and walleye, you can’t claim to be an old fashioned expert.
What are some variations?
There are many variations of an old fashioned cocktail. The most frequently seen is the brandy old fashioned substituting brandy for whiskey and frequently adding soda.
But, there’s also the warm old fashioned that replaces the ice cube with hot water. The cocoa old fashioned entails using a cocoa-infused rye whiskey. A coffee old fashioned includes crème de cacao and chilled espresso to the mix. And, there are many more variations of this classic cocktail.
How is the cocktail served?
Typically, an Old Fashioned is served in an old fashioned glass (sometimes called a rocks glass) and garnished with an orange slice and a cocktail cherry.
— Mike O’Halloran
Mike is the co-founder of ListCaboodle.
You’re on our “All About The Old Fashioned” page.
You might like: